pregnant

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Is it a Boy or a Girl...


This ultrasound was a bit different from Kash's, they do things a little differently at Kaiser than they did at the doctor when I was pregnant with Kash. First of all, they made me drink 36 ounces of water an hour before the appointment so that I'd have a humongously full bladder during the ultrasound. I'm not sure why this is necessary. I had heard about doctor's requiring this during Kash's pregnancy, and even though for Kash's ultrasound I wasn't instructed to do that, I did it anyway to ensure some good pictures. But when I got called back to the exam room with Kash the first thing they asked me was if I needed to use the bathroom, what a waste! So anyway, I was wondering why, if I didn't need a full bladder then, do I need it now? I really had to pee by the time I got into the exam room, and all the poking and prodding with the ultrasound wand didn't help at all. Kaiser wouldn't let TJ into the ultrasound room until after they did the initial snapshots of all the baby's organs and such, and since this little guy kept facing the wrong direction, it was taking quite a while. I was starting to worry that TJ might begin to think that something was wrong, waiting out there for so long. but she finally let me go to the bathroom, and called TJ into the room for the "show and tell". She started at the top of the baby's head, and slowly moved down his body, pointing out all of his body parts along the way. When she got to his face, he opened and closed his mouth a few times like he was talking to us, and then he waved one little arm as if to say "hi". And when she finally got to his genitalia, he shoved his hands in the way! Then when he finally moved his hands, he closed his legs. I was actually starting to worry that we'd be going home without knowing the sex, he was not cooperating! But he finally stopped being a punk and let us see:



I was completely in shock, I really thought it was a girl. I had only been looking at girl bedding and thinking of girl names, I had basically just already planned on it being a girl. So I had to completely flip my thoughts and change my mindset for a boy, and it took a day or so to get used to it. It was almost like I just found out that I was pregnant. (And just so no one misunderstands me, I did not want it to be a girl, I actually didn't care either way, I just really thought it was a girl). So now that I've adjusted, and have started looking at boy stuff, I'm actually a bit relieved. I was having a hell of a time finding girl items that I liked (especially bedding), and I've already found everything I want for this new little boy. We already have boy clothes and boy toys from Kash, and I think Kash will really enjoy having a little brother to wrestle around with.

Now, even though we had finally found out the sex of the baby, the ultrasound still wasn't quite over yet. This little boy had been facing front the entire appointment so far, and the technician needed pictures of his spine. So she made me dance around to try to get him to flip. Otherwise I'd have to come back for another exam (and my co-pay wasn't cheap), so I was determined to move him around. After a few minutes of skipping, hip rolling, and hanging upside down, the tech came back into the room and had me lie down. And it worked! She was able to get all the pics she needed. So now we have to wait for the results from the doctor, to hear if all the organs look as they should. But everything looked good to me!

Here's a creepy shot of his face, he looks like a little alien, but you can also see his heart in this one:



And here's my favorite one (he wouldn't stop sucking on his fist):

No comments:

Post a Comment

Family/Maternity Photos